Wednesday, April 29, 2015

PAIN

You take a "pain pill" -- funny wording that... like you're taking a pill to "cause pain." smirk
Then pretty soon your body gets used to the dose and it only takes the edge off the pain. Severe, chronic, debilitating pain cannot be understood unless it is experienced.
So you increase the dose just a little and then some more because you can't sleep, you can't rest; you're totally worn out. The bottle says every 6 hours. You wait for the six hours to be over. You watch the clock.
It's not long until you're taking the "pill for pain" every 4 hours, maybe every 3 hours. It depends on how well you can tolerate the agony. 
You call the Doctor. He increases the dose. "Nothing more can be done." says the Nurse with a jaded concern in her voice. You hear the unspoken thought. She wonders if you're an addict. She hasn't had long-term unrelenting pain. That's obvious and she's seen way too many addicts. It's understandable.
No... you are not an addict. Not yet and by God's grace you never will be but how do you survive this pain? No one has an answer.
You smile in public. You can't writhe upon your bed there. You can't moan and hold yourself. You smile and sit as still as possible in your chair. You smile and answer politely and do things as normally as possible. You walk as quickly as your body will allow and try not to hate the thing you live in that is full of abject misery.
And... you... Smile.

Hopefully, your eyes will not betray the pain. You forgive people who have no way of knowing that at home sits 15 bottles of medicine for all your illnesses. They do not know that you have 6 major illnesses nor do they care very much. You understand that they have their own lives, their own illnesses, their own troubles and aches and pains and so it is... and so it shall be... and so you forgive them their humanness. 
Why do I write this I wonder. I've been up since 4 am. I am lonely in my pain. I pray. I read the Bible. I work on my computer, on my music, and on staying alive. This makes me laugh. 
I work on trying to get beyond the pain, on remembering to get outside myself; remembering to love and help someone else. 
My totality of "Being" cannot be this pain or the many troubling issues of my own life. Life must be more than that or it is not worth living. I find great joy in helping others. Great joy in listening, truly listening to another's grief and pain. 
I have become an expert of sorts in what it is to suffer and how to survive suffering. So then this agony has a purpose now. I can mentor others. That means I must survive and do it well if I am to be a good example. If I am to have something of worth to offer; to be able to succour others in their pain.
Rule #1 You smile. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment